Tax Help

What Do I Need To Bring?

  • Valid photo ID as proof of identification for yourself and spouse
  • Birthdates and Social Security Cards or ITINs
    • Yourself
    • Spouse
    • Dependents including children and other household members
  • Income Sources. Most Tax Year wage and income statements are mailed out in early February in the year following the tax year
    • W-2’s for each job held during the tax year
    • 1099’s  
      • Unemployment (1099-G)
      • Pension & Annuity Distributions (1099-R)
      • Social Security benefits (SSA-1099)
      • Interest/Dividends (1099-INT or 1099-DIV)
      • Miscellaneous income  (1099-MISC)
      • Stock sales (1099-B)
      • Distributions from Health Savings Accounts (1099-SA)
  • Business income and expenses
  • 1095-A, Healthcare Marketplace Insurance
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Michigan Disability (MI-SSI), FIP or DHS benefit letters
  • Child Support received, alimony paid or received
  • Gambling/Lottery winnings (W-2G)
  • Other Tax Information
    • Itemizing deductions? Medical expenses, Home Mortgage interest, real estate taxes, car registration fees, charitable giving, miscellaneous work expenses including uniforms, safety deposit box, gambling losses
    • Medical or HMO premiums paid for self and/or family
    • Tuition & related expenses(1098-T) including course books for full-time college students;  Interest paid on student loans (1098-E)
    • Child care provider’s name and Social Security Number (SSN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN); childcare expenses while at work
    • Tax Year 2008 First-time homebuyer's information if a credit was received in Tax Year 2008
  • Renter's Information
    • Landlord’s name and address
    • Amount of monthly rent paid out of pocket; number of months rented
    • Does the taxpayer live inService fee housing?  Subsidized housing?
    • Home heating expenses from November of the previous tax year through October of current tax year. Some utilities like DTE Energy include amount on January - april statement. If not, call your heat provider
  • Home Owners
    • Summer and winter property taxes for the tax year
    • Taxable value of home (on property tax bills)
    • First time homebuyer information
    • Home heating expenses from November, previous tax year through October of the current tax year. 
    • Some utilities like DTE Energy include amount on January - April statements. If not, call your heat provider   
  •  Refund/Payment Options
    • Direct deposit information:  Up to 3 bank or credit union names, routing numbers, and account numbers. Direct deposit is the fastest and safest way to receive your refunds
    • US Savings Bond:  Determine amount of bond, if desired, from refund amount

Prepare your Federal and State tax returns for FREE!

My Free Tax Help Logo with Link

Discover how easy it is to file your taxes for FREE! If you make $66,000 or less, you are eligible.  Visit our online site, powered by H&R Block's TaxCut software by clicking on the MyFreeTaxes logo below.  Or if you need some help getting started, you can come into one of the Davenport University VITA sites (Davenport University Cook Center, Holland or Lettinga Campus) listed on our home page during its hours of operation throughout the tax season.


What do I need to get started?

  • Basic computer skills.  If you can browse the web, you can file your return online!
  • An email address.  You will receive updates on your return via email
  • All supporting tax information like
    • SSNs for each person on your return
    • Income information (W-2, 1099s, supporting documentation)
    • Child care provider's name, address, and SSN or EIN
    • Your bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit option

How does it work?

Using the free tax preparation software, you will...

  • Create your own unique username and password
  • Prepare your return
  • Efile your state and federal taxes for free
  • Print your return
  • Check the status of your return via email or by logging onto the company's website
  • Receive a confirmation within 2 days that your return was accepted by the IRS
  • Get your Direct Deposit in less than two weeks

The sooner you file, the sooner you could be bringing your money home!

Where is my Refund?

To check on your tax return, have your 2015 copy of your completed tax return in hand.  You may need to know your Social Security Number, Filing Status, Adjusted Gross Income (AGI), and Household Income (MI only), and/or Amount of Refund due.

IRS Tax Help     1-800-829-1040
IRS Refund Hotline  1-800-829-1954
Michigan Income Tax Info 517- 636-4486
Michigan Refund Hotline 517-373-3200
City of Grand Rapids     616- 456-3415


Other Useful Numbers:

Social Security Administration  1-800-772-1213
Find local VITA Sites United Way 2-1-1